Tuesday 19 April 2011

White Horse Challenge

Miles cycled this year: 1737
In 104 Hours burning 63183 Kcal climbing 72130 ft
Most miles in a week (so far) : 176
Weight Not Known!

I like the White Horse Challenge. It’s friendly, small, great route and got a good mix of serious riders and less so.

The day started shockingly early. I forget when booking how early I am going to have to get up. I got up at 5.45, still it was light, but foggy and 6C. The forecast was for warm and sunny. Drink and a small breakfast and I am off on the road, eating on the way. I got there early!

Before long we were off. I was about 6th to start. It was a slow start, and we were quickly passed by others, and I jumped on. This was not the best idea and after 5 miles or so, I let go again, and rode on steadily. Another bigger group passed and its back on. This was better. I shared work at the front for a bit and dropped to the back of the group, which was quite big, to take it easy. The problem was there was a number of riders struggling at the back and gaps would form, and I would have to close the gap again.

The first big hill and the group spread out, reforming as two groups and a load of straggles. I was in the second group. It was shortly after I got some stomach cramps, nothing to stop me, just inconvenient. I was drinking and eating a bit, and was slowly taking clothes off as it warmed up.

It did occur to me that I had started a bit quick, also that I hadn’t ridden a bike for 8 days, but I was after my time of 4h50m two years ago. 1h30m left to go and 24 miles which I worked out to be an average of 18mph left. Not really certain that was going to happen, I was tiring already. I had let the group go about 50m in, and had rode on with one other chap, I was ok on the flat, but the hills weren’t as normal.

Into the last part, and I was seeing groups go past every now and then, faster than me and I knew there was no point of trying to get on, as I would quicker be left. I out climbed my riding partner up the last hill, and he returned the favour on the run in by putting his head down and riding me off his wheel.

Finish and a ham roll and a Danish whirl, washed down with water sat on a wall outside the hall. Sat in silence with others also eating.

The time was 5h3m, so I lost 13mins which is ok. I got home ate some more and watched the end of the cycling then the grand prix whilst laying on the floor. Later the cramps returned big time and my body emptied itself. I felt much better. Seems my poor performance could be partly down to something else. Still I was ultimately 97th of 411 finishers, so made top 25% which is my target.

Still there is always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment