Tuesday 3 August 2010

3 Towers and Middle Earth

Miles cycled this year: 3982
In 243 Hours burning 138235 Kcal climbing 147500ft
Most miles in a week (so far) : 284
Weight 66.3Kg 16.5% fat ie no change (save you checking)

Well hello, I’ve been ignoring you, dear blog, I know, which is remiss so here is a brief update. If you have received this direct via email, that is because I thought you might like to see what I am up to, and maybe tempted to sponsor me via www.justgiving.com/gregs-cardinal-ride proceeds to the air ambulance. The blog is in full colour at http://gregcycle.blogspot.com/

The training is going fine. I’m riding over 200miles a week and feel ok on it. This consists of two 4hr rides on Saturday and Sunday, and riding part way to work and back on Tuesday and Thursday. It’s only partway as my body is not keen on 26miles at 7am in the morning, so I ride 15miles in, having parked the car part way in, and then do a longer loop on my way back. It’s quite fun, and I haven’t yet got wet. [This will be my fate in September I fear L ] Wednesday is a hour with Denise round local roads. It’s nice.

As part of the training I rode the Three Towers and Middle Earth Audax and rode to the start and back. It was 95miles in about 5h15m. Most of it was with Mike Waterjohns, a gifted hill climber, but we regrouped at the last checkpoint/cake stop and 6 of us finished together. These speeds will not be replicated in September when the aim will be to finish the day with enough condition to start the next day! The Three towers, they are visited on the route and are

Burrow Mump
Alfred's Tower
Glastonbury Tor
I can only assume the middle earth is the Somerset Moors we traversed on our way back into a headwind to North Petherton.

I also rode out and meet Chris Minors who I came across on Twitter and was riding Land’s End to John O’Groats (LEJOG) in aid of shelter box. I had planned on riding with him to Cheddar, but that didn’t work out, so I towards Chris as he came up from Exeter, rode with him for a few miles and then turned south again to meet Denise for a Pub Lunch.

What else: Well the Sponsorship is going better than I thought. I had low expectations I suppose, so I am somewhat overwhelmed by the generosity of my sponsors. Thank you.

The Bee has had a test ride, and clung on valiantly on 40mph+ descents. It appears that the vibration is not an issue, as buzzing produces much vibration, so he is genetically predisposed to it. He appears to be putting on weight, it’s the fame, it’s going to his head, so I am trying to keep and eye on it.

Over the next few weeks I intend to lift the mileage further, with it tapering off for a couple of weeks before to let my body fully rest before me and the bee are off. Next Sunday I am off to Old Wardour Castle as a picnic destination so I can get the miles in, and Denise can practice on the Sat Nav. Could be an interesting Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment