Sunday 1 September 2019

Dover Durness Day 4: Burton-le-Coggles to East Cowick


Distance today         87 miles in 6hrs 16mins
Height Climbed       2428 feet burning 2238 Kcal

Distance so Far       300 Miles  in  21hrs 29mins
Height Climbed      10777 Feet Burning 8505 Kcal

Fourth day and wind really got going today. It started where it left off yesterday, a moderate south westerly and turned to moderate to fresh westerly as the day went on. As I was zig-zagging,north then west, taking turns at riding into a block head wind, and then a cross wind.


The day started with pretty much standard: Up a hill, down a hill, across a dual carriageway sheltering in the central reservation, then up a hill. Turn right the Garmin says, but the road said unsuitable for vehicles. It looked rough, but no real potholes. The map suggested the alternative was the dual carriageway. I'll chance the potholes. A couple of miles of weaving at walking pace and back on a normal road. So much for my careful planning on "paved roads".

Further on I picked up a Sustrans route on a canal tow path. This started well with a good surface, then filled with potholes and dog walkers. I put the wheels on the edge of the path, the smoothest part and pushed on. Canal works on a lock put me on a railway. A line of compacted mud in short grass, smoother and faster than the tow path.


 
More roads. I'm not going well. It is all an effort. I know Passepartout is at 40 miles waiting, but at 30 miles I need a rest. I really like bus shelters, and I find a nice wooden one with a seat. The view is not great, but it is clean and I am out of the wind. It's nice to sit still. I have an eat, drink and watch the cars. I assume a bus won't come. 


I have a sandwich with Passepartout, climb another short hill and have a wee. My body to come back to me and refreshed I move on. It really is a day of two halves.

For the second time today I come across wet roads. I have seen rain to the left and had the odd drop, but not got wet. The road now has water in pools on the sides. It really has rained, but I've been lucky.



Passing by a massive coal fired power station that is clearly off, I ride onto roads which I last rode in 2010 on the Lands End to John O'Groats. The only place I recognize is the pub which I finished the day at last time. Then it was closed and looking sad. Now it is open and very smart. An unusual direction.

5.5miles to go and a road closed sign for somewhere ahead. I push on. A car comes towards me, flashing its headlights. I push on. The road is wet, there is some water in the air. Three cyclists come towards me. I move across the road and ask about the bridge. They stop. You can walk over. Stress for nothing. They are soaked, I thank them and 2 miles after the bridge arrive at my destination.






No comments:

Post a Comment