Wednesday 4 September 2019

Dover Durness Day 7: Ford (Etal) to Kinross



Distance today        99 miles in 7hrs 55mins
Height Climbed      2023 feet burning 2821 Kcal

Distance so Far       597 Miles  in  44hrs 42mins
Height Climbed      23,292 Feet Burning 16,753 Kcal

View south from Ford
Ford is an estate village based around a castle. I left though the castle grounds and down the drive. Well what was the drive, historically, I freewheeled very slowly down the moss covered drive to the road wondering if the gate was open. There was an entrance lodge, a fine pair of gate posts but no gate. Release.



Onward and its not long before I cross a river and into Scotland. Confirmation that I am getting somewhere but it is big country. 



Back on the road and more rolling arable land. Bit of a tail wind. I'm getting a bit tired, it feels slower than it should do. I appear to be 500 feet above sea level. I have been climbing slowly for ages. But not for long, one short desecnt and I am back at sea level, through a ford (which was deeper than expected) and then climb back up.

Dunbar and it rains, not for long, but long enough to remind me I have turned into the west wind which is throwing the light rain at me. Haddington and down to the coast. Edinburgh next.

Edinburgh's Sea Side


I think the cycle route into the city from this way is along the coast. This is into the wind and the occasional shower. Whilst on the promenade this is fine if slow, but the crinkly bits of the country parks is no fun. I cut a corner on the planned route, and it appears that I have had this thought before and had routed myself on the main road. The traffic is heavy, the drivers courteous, but the potholes big and scattered all over the road. I push on into the wind, I know somewhere there is a cycle path. Finally it comes, smooth, wide and traffic free, if on a long low grade of up.



The traffic free path ends,  but I am on suburban streets, many dead ends except for cyclists, then on road side cycle paths. Since the last rain the wind has changed as forecast. It is now from the north and moderate to fresh.


Well it is definatly fresh and full in the face as I cross the Forth Road Bridge, now only open to buses and taxis. Bikes use the cycle path. I last used this cycle path 36 years ago when I rode LEJOG after my A Levels.



After this it is a B road with aspirations to be an A road. The M90 runs parralle, sometimes I can see it, sometimes hear it but it is there. I appear to be in heavy local traffic, I check the time it is rush hour.

Passepartout has checked into the hotel. We have been put on the first floor about as far from the car as we can be. They have charged us an extra tenner for the dog, which we weren't told about. I have a moan and after I produce their email to me we are moved to the ground floor closer to the front door. Still less than ideal, an tenner down and the dog doesn't even have her welcome pack!




No comments:

Post a Comment